Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Juice...FAST!

I'm kind of a big deal. And by big deal, I mean...I'm overweight. While I have learned to stand in confidence in this skin, I know that my fluctuating weight is due to inconsistent habits when it comes to my diet and exercise. Lucky for me, my weight is distributed rather evenly across my whole body...all 210lbs of me. 

At my heaviest (two years ago), I was 225lbs and a size 18. Standing just under 5'7, my then 31 year old knees  were in pain from the extra weight. I've always taken pride in having good posture but with my bulging mid-section pulling my weight forward, my lower back was in constant pain leaving me sitting and walking lazily with slumped shoulders.  

In late 2011, I'd finally seemed to find my rhythm. I was running consistently with my first half marathon in sight. I got down to 190 or so and was a strong size 12...or weak 14. ;-) In April of 2012, I ran my longest run and completed the Dismal Swamp Stomp Half Marathon (13.1 miles).

Shortly thereafter, I stopped running. I stopped exercising with exception of the occasional attempt to bring yoga back into my routine...kind of. I had, again, fallen from a horse that was racing towards the beginning of a very prosperous thirty-third year of life. 

Just months before, I had fulfilled the greatest physical challenge of my life! A FULL 13.1 miles?!?! And now, I'd fallen off the horse into an onslaught of weight gain...again.

Here I am nearly a year later and have gained back a significant amount of the weight. I'm winded taking the stairs and back to a "healthy" 210lbs. So...

...now what?

I'm longing for consistency. I LOVE the way I feel when my diet and schedule are in order. I've found that when I'm disciplined enough to continue growing in the natural and physical, my spiritual walk is far more disciplined...and vice versa. 

I've began a juice detox/fast. I chose this particular fast during the Lenten because it is both physically and spiritually driven. Here it is, day two and I'm feeling good. I'll be sharing my journey right here every with updates every Tuesday and Thursday beginning today. 

I know I'm not the only one to struggle with weight. But I'm sharing my journey with you all to help show you that, "weight" itself isn't the issue. The greater issue lies in our inability to practice discipline and remain consistent in multiple areas of our lives. Generally, when things are out of balance, our diet and exercise are the first to suffer.


I know that right now, juicing seems to be the trendy thing to do. But sometimes, it takes the ignition of a trend to ignite real change in the hearts and minds of people. I've enjoyed homemade juices for years but have never committed to it (consistently...dangit. There's that word again) for any extensive amount of time. As trendy as it may seem, I know that it's not going to be easy.  

Check back regularly, invite friends to subscribe and join me as I am inspired to inspire!


*BEAM* 






No comments: